The Hizmet Essay Contest is an annual contest series that encourages research on the Hizmet movement as well as the works of the Turkish Islamic scholar, Fethullah Gulen. The contest aims to motivate individuals to think critically about issues that affect the international society and, how to tackle these important issues from a Hizmet perspective.
Individuals will research the various works of Fethullah Gulen and the activities of Hizmet institutions both locally and abroad, with the purpose of identifying how the Hizmet movement contributes to the solution of a particular issue on an individual, societal and global level.
The Hizmet Movement, which derives its name from the word “service”, has established hundreds of educational, civic service organizations and institutions in over 160 countries, who are active in the areas of peace building, conflict resolution, intercultural-interfaith dialogue, education, media and relief work. These organizations and institutions engage in various initiatives that foster inclusiveness, build community capacity, and create shared spaces.
Individuals are asked to evaluate the societal impact of the activities of the Hizmet movement and the ideas of Fethullah Gulen and how those ideas and actions can be used in the context of countering violent extremism at a local, national or international level.
“The Hizmet Approach to Countering Violent Extremism and Radicalization”
Contestants are asked to approach the essay in one of two ways:
1. Case Studies: By using this approach the contestant is looking into a very specific case that can be either a country study or a regional study (i.e. US, Europe, Middle East, South Asia, Africa, Australasia, Turkey etc.) Identify and analyze the various Hizmet initiatives in areas of peace building, interfaith and intercultural dialogue, education and relief work in that particular country/region and how those contributions have aided in countering violent extremism and radicalization.
2. Theoretical focus: How teachings and writings of Fethullah Gulen lay the foundation of the Hizmet Movement’s initiatives and hence contribute to producing solutions to the problem of radicalization and violent extremism. Situations used in essays based in this category can be hypothetical and does not have to apply to a particular country/region.
Rumi Forum for Interfaith Dialogue and Intercultural Understanding
There will be 2 student categories:
*Undergraduate prize: 300 Euros (or the Dollar equivalent in USA)
*Graduate prize: 300 Euros (or the Dollar equivalent in USA)
*Winning essays may be published in the Hizmet studies review The winning authors may be asked to further revise their papers before publishing. There will not be further compensation for publishing.
April 30th, 2016
» Entrants must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program that awards Bachelor’s , Master’s, or Doctoral Degrees. Both full-time and part-time students may apply.
» Open to all countries.
» We encourage students of all backgrounds and ability to participate in this contest.
» Essays must be no fewer than 1500, and no more than 3000, words in length. (Citations and bibliography are not included in the word count).
» The essays must be double spaced.
» One entry per person. Essays must be submitted by February 1st, 2016, no later than 11:59 PM, Eastern Standard Time. (Organizers have the right to change the contest deadline).
» Essays must be the original work of entrant and must be owned by entrant. Plagiarism will result in disqualification. Essays must not infringe on any third party rights or intellectual property of any person, company, or organization. By submitting an essay to this Contest, the entrant agrees to indemnify the organizers for any claim, demand, judgment, or other allegation arising from possible violation of someone’s trademark, copyright, or other legally protected interest in any way in the entrant’s essay.
» All submitted essays will become the property of the organizers.
» Awardees will be notified via e-mail by April 30th, 2016. The Rumi Forum reserves the right to change the notification date.
» Please register your interest via the link below. Further details and updates will be sent to those registered. Registration is important and should be considered the first step. There is no fee or cost to register or submit an essay.
» Register Here
» Click Here for the winners of 2014 Hizmet Essay Contest
For queries please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Hizmet Essay Competition” in the subject line.
Comradejuliusofafrica-The Writers Bureau.
Latest posts by Julius Kessy (see all)
- Beginner Bloggers Ask-What’s an Ideal Length of a Blog Post? - May 24, 2018
- 4 Reasons Why You Should Start Blogging On Your Website - May 18, 2018
- Beginner Bloggers-What’s the Name of Your Blog? (And How I Chose Mine) - May 13, 2018